Saturday, September 10, 2005

park at your own risk

Who’s liable if my car scratches yours in the law school parking lot? We all know the lanes are too narrow and there’s not enough room between the spaces. As a result it’s usually impossible to open your door to its full length when you get in and out if there is a car next to you. So is it my fault if my car door scratches yours even though I used due car (eg. I didn’t open it really fast and I only scratched your car because there was no way for my car door to open fully without it touching yours)?

I’m wondering because the other day I was walking to my car and as I was putting in my bag on the passenger side, this asshole who was parked next to me actually stood in front of both our cars with his arms crossed staring at my car door to make sure it didn’t touch his precious BMW. I think it may have barely touched it—but I was careful not to make a scratch. As I walked past him to get around to my car’s driver’s side, I said something like ‘excuse me’ or ‘sorry’ because I’d been blocking his door. He just glared at me.

I’m not interested in causing problems or intentionally scratching someone else’s car but I was dying for him to say something to me about how my car door was too close to his. I’m careful. I do my best not to let my car door touch anyone else’s and I think most people here do the same. Still, my car door has lots of small scratches that weren’t there before I started law school. My car is nine years old. It’s a way for me to get from point A to point B. I’m not a car person so I don’t care if it’s a little scratched.

But other people, especially this asshole with the Beemer, care quite a bit more about how their cars look. I don’t think it should be my fault if I’m forced to park too close to someone because the school decided to squeeze in a couple dozen more spaces.

6 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude,

Buck 'um. Keep on keepin' on.

LF

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the person who owns the Escalade is reading - buy a new car, you fucking ass. No one can park beside or behind you without either hitting your stupid car or else doing a 250 point turn.

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the assholes who create a spot where there isn't one? How did they get into law school without being able to determine such a simple concept as parking between 2 yellow lines?

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger some guy said...

True. But what about in the second row that 'secret' spot in between the two handicapped spots and the one across from it that has faded white X marks as if once it was a no parking zone? I see people park there all the time even though it doesn't seem like an official spot. I just don't get it.

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you have early classes - the parking lot just north of the law school has wider spots.

i parked there all year, but my car still got 15-20 dents on it. only reason i parked there was because my car is leased; i guess they'll make me pay for them.

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of people 'claim' to be oh so very careful about not opening their doors into people's cars but the huge dents don't get there by a careful opening of a door. Furthermore, people hit other cars and just leave. This happened to me last year (and it wasn't just a nudge but rather $300 damage to my bumper). People at this school, in general, couldn't give a crap less whether or not they dent or hit your car probably because they don't actually ever have to make a car payment. If they are so careful with their peers' property, I wonder what an ethical, honest lawyer they will make....
PS...not beamer guy...lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home