Saturday, November 12, 2005

I am humbled

I have designs on answering questions such as: Are the students better? Is the school superior? Was it worth it? Any regrets as of yet? How did OCI go? Etc… But these are introspective and serious issues that I need to give a little more attention to, and I have a limited bit of time today. I wanted to let “some guy” know how grateful I was for the opportunity to express some of my thoughts, and I didn’t want him to think I wasn’t thinking about what I had to say.

With that said, I’ll just give you a snip of a moment this week from Michigan’s moot court competition. It is called the Campbell Moot Court Competition, and it is very big up here. The first round consisted of about 50 teams and will be cut to 8. We will not find out who made the cut for several weeks. The first round included 4 “moots” for each team – 2 off brief, and 2 on. If you make it to round two, you are rewarded by having to re-write your first brief, as the page limits are increased, AND, you must write the other side of the brief as well. That’s right! All winter break, writing two 50 page briefs, from both the petitioner and respondent.

Anyway, I thought you’d like a quote from an exchange between a judge and a contestant. I don’t think the contestant’s team is going to make the cut.

Student: The Fifth and the Sixth Amendment are very similar and therefore, any protections accorded under the Fifth would also extend to the Sixth.

Judge: Counsel, do you have any support for that assertion?

Student: Your Honor, look deep within your heart. I think, in there, you will find all the support you need for my assertions.

Awesome.

1 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DiD you know that out of 835 Google finds for "equal process" you are officially number one on their list ... you have google clout

 

Post a Comment

<< Home