Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Get a job but not this one

Today a job was posted on the career center's online database with these job requirements:

HS Grad w/2-4 yrs. exp. performing legal secretarial duties w/in law office. Possess certf. of proficiency for transcription & typing less than one yr. old from City or accredited agency.

What? The job market is so bad that law students are reduced to jobs that only require a high school education? Come on. Does anybody screen these things? I'm not saying it's beneath a law student to be a legal secretary if you need the money and can't get a job as a law clerk. It's better than doing something non-legal. You'd probably get a good feel for how a law office really works. But when the job requires only a high school education and you're in law school, this just is not helpful to people looking for a job.

5 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite are the jobs that expect you to work for free or for $10 an hour...these people know how much this school costs, give us a break! I had one friend tell her now current employer what she made last semester at a law office, which has her old position posted on the database($14/hr.), and they actually laughed and said that the wage was nothing short of insulting. Needless to say she gets paid $25/hr. with the new job and gets to work from home!! As expected this job was not one found through the useless job database but just rather by running into the attorney at a restaurant...talk about luck.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there anything that you DO like about the school? Seems like everything sucks.

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, things do suck when law firms billing out hundreds of dollars per hour think that law students should be relegated to a job requiring significant expertise and paying little more that McDonalds employees earn. I was absolutely shocked to learn of the prevailing $10 to $12 or so an hour that law clerks are paid, not to mention the arrogant private firms that tout the "volunteer" position that provides "excellent experience" for law students. Personally, I would rather donate my time to the Red Cross.

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't like the blog, anon1, then go read somewhere else.

When I went to the career center, the advisor (and I use that term very loosely) told me that I should volunteer to work for a private firm to increase my chances of getting hired. Is she insane? I'd rather work for Legal Aid if I'm going to work for free.

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would seriously question the logic behind "volunteering." You are learning, sure, but you are also being exploited.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home