Thursday, January 26, 2006

Oyez, Oyez, Oyez

So I went to the Justice Breyer talk today. My review of his speech: Eh. It was cool to see a Supreme Court justice but he didn't really say anything noteworthy. I guess that's part of the job of being a member of the Supreme Court -- you learn to say
nothing. Still, he's an engaging speaker and I'm glad I went. There were a few interesting things going on in the audience -- like the professor I saw taking copious notes. I can't imagine why anyone would take notes.

Then I went to the reception afterward and let me tell you, that was something else. Everyone was hammered, including the justice and um, just kidding. No, the food was terrific and it was an open bar. There were a lot of federal judges there. People were getting autographs from Justice Breyer. I saw a lot of professors and if I'm not mistaken, got the evil eye [or maybe a condescending smirk?] from one of them.

I don't think of myself as a social misfit, but I'm not great with small talk or at talking to people I don't know or have anything in common with. One thing I've noticed is that I really don't know how to interact with professors. I saw some students involved in what seemed like animated conversations with profs, but not me. I literally have nothing to say to any of them. That's not to say I don't want to talk to them. (Hmmm...well, maybe I do...I guess I'll never know if I don't try). I just don't have a clue how to start a conversation with any of them. (I tried once and failed miserably -- I asked a professor if she was related to the football coach (they have the same last name) and well, maybe she gets that question a lot because she immediately stopped talking to me after that, despite sitting next to me for the next 10 minutes before the speech started).

5 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where were the hecklers!? Remember Kelo v. New London! Prof Property should have laid the smack down!!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

I've found that the following phrase is a good ice breaker for law professors, especially Crim. Law profs.

"I need your help. I've been charged with hiring a 13-year-old, illegal immigrant prostitute. But I swear, he looked 18!"

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn right, anonymous. Breyer will never catch enough hell for confusing our property rights with Venezuela's. Wish I coulda been there, though.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can think of a million worse questions you could have asked her about where that last name came from. Yours was pretty reasonable!

 
At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opening line guaranteed to get a constitutional law professor (especially the Federalist Society-types) to blush/start talking about himself:

"Haven't I seen you on C-SPAN's "America & the Courts"?"

I kid you not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home