Thursday, February 23, 2006

How much longer?

Why is law school three years instead of two? Although life in general is more enjoyable without the intense stress and pressure of being a 1L, wouldn’t it make sense to pack the second and third year into one and make both years as intense as the first year? It seems like a lot of people I know are sorely lacking in motivation at this point in law school. And we’re barely past the halfway point.

I don’t see law schools eliminating the third year any time soon even though I’ve read in other places that people think two years is enough.

I can just see the discussions at a Board of Trustees meeting:

Trustee 1: “Let’s eliminate the third year and make law school a little more practical. Maybe let them do an apprenticeship or something that third year instead of sitting through classes.”

Trustee 2: “Um, you realize they’re paying us $30,000 a year, right?”

Trustee 1: “Oh yeah. Forget I said anything. In fact, strike what I said from the record and burn the record right now.”

Actually I realize it wouldn’t just be one school deciding this. It would take change of the entire institution of law school and the ABA would have to approve it. Anyway, it’s a thought. A good thought for any 2Ls wishing they were 3Ls and almost done with all this…

On the other hand, it's a big, bad world out there, so maybe I should shut up and enjoy my hiatus from reality while it lasts...

2 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ABA might have a say to - I think they require a certain number of hours in class.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Amicus Curiae said...

It is a big bad world out there. I graduate this May with no job in sight and loan repayments breathing down my neck. Then again, I'm really damn glad to finish.

Heh, if you think your 2L classmates are getting lazy, whoa baby just wait till you're a 3L!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home