Monday, February 20, 2006

OCI

So OCI starts today. Currently there are a total of five employers scheduled to come to campus for on campus interviews. Five. That’s all. Five.

Look, I am not here to insult the people who work at the Career Placement Center, but are you kidding me? This is ridiculous. I know there are more employers that are accepting “resume referrals” or “direct contact” (which is a little strange – I’ve never really understood the “direct contact” thing. I guess these employers are permitting students here to send in their resumes…I mean that’s nice and all, but I can send in my resume pretty much anywhere, even without an invitation, right? … You can’t possibly tell me that this is a huge coup for our school that they posted that we’re allowed to send in our resume to the city attorney of Cleveland, Ohio.).

I didn’t have very high hopes for OCI because I know only 15 percent of students get jobs through OCI in an average year but now that I see what’s out there, it’s even more depressing than I thought. Oh yeah, and since I don’t want to be a prosecutor, don’t have a finance background and don’t speak Spanish, I am eligible to bid for two of these five employers. And my wife doesn’t want to leave her job and move to Fort Myers, so that leaves a total of one. Awesome!

A lot of people are fond of hating the Career Placement Center because “they aren’t doing anything to find me a job.” I don’t subscribe to this view because it’s not their job to give everyone here a job. You have to work at it. The CPC is there to help. But here’s the thing: I AM WORKING AT IT. I’M WORKING REALLY HARD to find a good summer job. It would be nice if the school would help a little. (Although my career counselor, if she happens to be reading this, has always been very professional and nice and she’s been helpful to me by answering questions, reviewing cover letters and resumes, etc….but that kind of assistance only has so much value).

3 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am aware of more people that don't have summer jobs yet than people who do. What are all of these hordes of unemployed law students supposed to do this summer? I can't afford to work for nothing (save for a few lines to add to my resume) again this year, so CPC's suggestions of clerking are rather useless. At this rate I will be waiting tables rather than writing motions or learning something useful.

How are we supposed to get jobs after we graduate? I don't even have summer lined up yet, so how am I supposed to have any confidence in my ability to get a job once I have a degree?

 
At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just be glad you're at least trying to get a job locally. When I told CPC that I was looking for something in another state, they essentially told me I'm on my own and good luck. But yes, they are nice and professional.

Just remember all this in 5 years when we do have jobs and the law school calls looking for donations. Don't see it happening...

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's tough to find jobs out of state - but if Miami ever wants to be a national law school, they'd better start sending people out of Florida.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home