Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Read this blog and save $100!

Here’s a tip for how you can save $100: Don’t Join Phi Delta Phi.

I got suckered into paying the $100 fee last year and I’m a member. So that’s good, right. It’s a legal honor society that’s really old and counts people like Senators and Supreme Court justices as members. I’m not really into these things, but I figured I’d join and it would look good on a resume – presuming, of course, that the group actually did a few things during the year that I could tell someone about in an interview. (You know: “Oh, you’re in Phi Delta Phi. I was in that when I was in law school. Do you still do X, Y or Z? No? Ok, then what did you do?)

Turns out we’ve done absolutely nothing. Not a single thing. We had one meeting in the fall where the president repeatedly told everyone that he is unable to come up with ideas for anything to do, but if we had ideas we could let him know. The group had a booth at the Canes Carnival, but so did pretty much every other group on campus.

I think the value of having this on your resume zero. That $100 is better spent elsewhere.

**
By the way, do you know what today is? It's March 21. Why is this day important? It's the end of Supplemental Phase III of OCI. The grand total of employers hiring in Supplemental Phase III is zero. Not a single one. Nada. Nothing. I'm sure glad they have six supplemental phases. Now I'm sure I'll get a job through OCI. @#$%#!#$#@#$@...

**
Oh yeah, and as for the strikers, Prof. State and Local Government moved class back on campus by sending out an e-mail 30 minutes before class started. Looks like these poor strikers are losing popular support. That's not good, but what am I supposed to do? Stop going to class?

4 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They set up a table on the bricks one day, and somebody asked them "What do you guys actually do?" The answer was "umm, we're a legal honor society with lots of famous members." Misdirection! The true mark of any honorable society. But hey, at least you get to wear that neato cord at graduation!

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The strikers aren't losing support. The faculty just moved classes on campus because the University agreed to a pay raise, but the strikers still want a union so they can have a voice. There are still a lot of things that students can do to support them, such as supporting the student organization http://www.standum.org/htm/ that is supporting the union drive.

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My university is holding this big career fair this week and most of the employers are fast food chains. I know they all have corporate offices and professional positions (marketing, etc.) but somehow I don't think that's what they're recruiting for. I'm not really sure what the career office staff had in mind ... we're supposed to dress up and distribute our resumes to be condiment squirters at Subway? (I love condiments, don't get me wrong)

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you can tell your family and friends - "I work at Burger King"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home