Saturday, April 01, 2006

jobs, jobs, jobs

A couple of people have left comments suggesting that I get an unpaid internship or judicial internship. It’s not something I haven’t thought of. I wouldn’t cry my eyes out if I had to do that and I'd maybe take a summer school class just like I did last summer. That would make next year go easier because I could take fewer classes each semester. In fact, I already know of one internship that I am almost sure I could have and it’s working in the specific field that I would be very happy to work in full time after law school.

But my problem is a fear of commitment. At what point do you assume that no paid, full-time jobs are forthcoming and commit to the unpaid internship? I realize you can always renege on a commitment but that doesn’t seem like a great idea, especially if it’s in a specific area in which I want to practice and it’s a relatively small community. I don’t think it’s appropriate to contact the guy about this unpaid position now and say something like “I’m still looking for a ‘real’ job but is it OK if you stand by as my backup plan?” Right now there are two more job opportunities I’m waiting to hear about so I’ll probably make the decision about the internship after I hear from these two places.

But then what? Do I have to stop looking? What if an incredible opportunity comes along? Do I have to pass it up or not even bother applying? Eh. Who am I kidding? I’ve been waiting for an “incredible opportunity” of a job for about six years now and hasn't happened yet. I guess that's why I'm in law school...

2 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better the lamb meat came the other day. So when you are ready to cook some burgers lemme know...

CW

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a saying about a bird in the hand, and two in the bush. The sooner you ease your mind on this, the sooner you can refocus on your studies - this semester is clutch you know. One month left - study as hard as you can, do your best, and you won't have any regrets come fall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home