Thursday, April 20, 2006

To the guy who doesn't get it

I know it can be dangerous to get into a war of words with anonymous commenters, but one of the comments is so inane that I feel like I just have to respond.

My response is this: if you read what I wrote and come away with the impression that I believe I am owed a job, go read someone else’s blog because you’re a moron. I am serious. You just aren’t a very smart person if that’s what you think. If you’re the type of person who reads something and thinks whatever you want about it, regardless of what it actually says, well, that’s fine with me, but the bad new is that you just don’t get it. (And while we’re at it, if you read this blog and all you think is, wow, he sure spends a lot of time whining, well, again, you just don’t get it. Believe it or not, I’m not a miserable person. Life is about more than law school and being a lawyer. The only part of my life that I don’t like is law school and because this blog is about life in law school, you’re going to read complaints about law school.)

Never have I stated that I’m owed something by anyone. I’m 33 years old. I spent almost a decade in the real world before coming to law school. I know no one is owed anything, especially when it comes to a job. I’ve seen people get laid off, downsized, etc. It’s happened to me. I do not think I am entitled to anything. I did plenty of research before coming to law school about law school and law jobs. And I’ve said repeatedly that I never really wanted a Big Firm law job. I’ve also said that several times, I’ve come across areas of law that seem really interesting to me, but that for whatever reason, I’ve been unable to make any headway into as far as getting a job.

If you took two or three seconds to actually read what I was writing, you’ll see that I am doing all that I can to get a job. Let me repeat that: I am doing all that I can. I am doing everything that you’re supposed to do. I don’t really know how many other ways I can communicate to you that I feel the exact opposite of someone who believes he is owed a job, but let me try one more time to explain this on the most basic level possible. I am working hard to get a job. When someone works hard at trying to accomplish something, he doesn’t expect something to be handed to him. Otherwise, why would he work hard at it? If he thought he was owed something, then he wouldn’t work at trying to accomplish it. If and when you are owed something, you sit back and wait for it to come to you.

Oh, and by the way, Miami is 65 percent Latino. That puts me in the minority. I’m just saying.

19 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Blogger X said...

Internet warfare sucks. I've had my share of it in the past discussing politics. Sorry to hear about how crappy your job search is going. I haven't found anything either. This legal job market is tough. -laughs- I've even contemplated pulling a Kramer. Maybe, I'll walk into some law firm and pretend to work there until they actually believe I do.

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you can't take the heat...

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe if you didn't go to such a crappy school, you'd actually have a chance of getting a job. With all that research you did, didn't you realize that Miami sucks as a law school???

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said it yourself - you've studied less this semester than ever before. If you thought finding a job was tough before, just imagine what it's going to be like after the full slate of C's you're going to get.

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand where the sudden animosity toward some guy has come from. I've only spoken to him a couple of times, but he still gives me the head nod whenever I pass him by. He's not saying that he deserves anything nor is he saying that his semester slacking will generate a plethora of C's. He's simply bitter with the way the administration and advisors seem apathetic towards helping him and others in his situation. One of the problems with getting a job in Miami is that a lot of the employers require prospective employees to speak Spanish. Not being able to speak Spanish successfully eliminates roughly half of the interesting sounding jobs from one's selection pool.

I know of a number of people on the various law reviews who are still searching for jobs, in addition to those who are not on law reviews. They attend job fairs, send out resumes, and come May are still praying for something, anything.

Some guy is right, if you don't like what he has to say, stop reading.

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the break down between the haves and have nots? Are there students who, on paper, have a lower "value" than Some Guy and still have a job? Like someone lower in ranking? Someone NOT on LR? If there is, why they and not he?

Connections? Luck?

Maybe SG doesn't do well in interviews?

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right... I'm a moron. I guess I just don't "get" your whiney bitch philosophy. Can you please explain this quote, which I read 5 minutes before reading the post I responded to?

"Unlike some of the lower ranked deans who are spotted at the gym or occasionally on the bricks or talking to students in the hallway, this dean is never spotted in public where students are around. But that's just his personal style, right? No big deal. Well, actually, now it turns out that we have confirmation from a federal judge that the dean of this law school does nothing to help his students get jobs. If this isn't damning, I don't know what is."

How about this:
"I don’t blame other people for my inability to find a job, but for the love of God, could the dean of this law school lift a finger to help this school’s graduates?"

It sounds like you are expecting the school to do more to help get you a job. Am I unreasonable to extract this from the above quotes? Also, when you preface things by saying "I don't expect the Miami to get me a job, but..." it is quite obvious that you are expecting them to help you get a job. It's just like saying "I'm not a racist, but..." or "I have not even the slightest inkling of any negative thoughts toward Cuban or Latino people. I just don’t want to live in a part of the country where I am a minority...". Basically, that line translates to "I don't dislike Cubans or Latinos, but gosh I really don't like living in a place where I am surrounded by them."

Basically, you need to quit your whining and appreciate what you have. So you don't have a job this summer that will lead you to permanent employment. Big deal. Take a lower paying job or work for free so you have more experience for the future. Nobody appreciates your hard work and you feel like you have nothing to show for it? That is really sad that you need other people to validate your accomplishments.

I'm sorry, I don't read your blog on a daily basis, but pretty much everything I have read on here is a whiney rant.

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no animosity. It's just the same person posting multiple times. Some guy makes good points, and the CC people just aren't doing their job.

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree! Good point 10:52!

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also agree!

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still think someguy has a valid gripe if UM does not do enough to promote the hiring of its graduates relative to other law schools.

I think he's made it clear he doesn't place all the blame on this issue, but if nobody complains then nothing will change.

What ever happened with meeting with the dean?

BL

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty hilarious, the last three posts are all from the exact same person. People who need to create alter egos to anonymously support thier own internet postings should seek therapy.

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just the same person posting multiple times.

See? I made my point.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i guarantee you (pl.) that the posts critical of some guy are not all by the same person. for what it's worth.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger some guy said...

Well, thanks for the support, supporters.

And to the haters: keep it coming. I don't mind. I can take criticism.

I've said on many occasions that I view this blog as my opportunity to offer commentary and criticism about law school and the life that law students lead. If you view all this "commentary and criticism" as nothing more than whining and complaining, well, that's fine with me. You can choose to view it however you want.

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you can take criticism - get used to it. Stop whining and feeling sorry for yourself and STUDY. Maybe you won't trash your already pathetic GPA too badly.

Seriously, slipping into the bottom half of the class will be career suicide for you, considering you go to a TTT law school.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger some guy said...

What does "get used to it" mean? Does it mean you intend to criticize every post? I'm fine with that, but why do you think I'm not used to it despite my post in which I said I'm fine with criticism?

Also, how do you know my GPA? Where do you get the impression that my GPA is "already pathetic"?
Short of failing everything, I don't think it's mathematically possible for me to drop into the bottom half of the class. Only morons or people who never read or come to class fail law school exams.

And what does TTT mean?

Anyway, why are you telling me to STUDY? Why aren't you studying? Or should I say STUDYING?

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, did you even read the "65 percent Latino" link that you posted? It also says that Miami is 66.62% white. So, since you are white, you are also in the majority. Yes, it is possible to be both white and Latino. And "Latino" is not a race of people. "I'm just saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaying."

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Miami is 72.98765 black. Is Black a race of people?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home