Tuesday, June 13, 2006

"a what"?

Did you see the job posting on the web site where the company is looking for an "attorney"? They use quote marks. What does that mean? They don't want an attorney; they want an "attorney." Strange.

**
I've now had four law-related jobs since starting law school and the same frustrating thing always seems to happen. I guess it's an occupational hazard of being a law clerk or intern. You get asked to research something because the attorney working on the case has this notion that he should probably kinda sorta maybe be able to claim X or Y. But after doing the research, you conclude that the attorney is wrong. Then when you tell him there's nothing to back up his idea, he makes it seem like you've done a crummy job and it's your fault. Fortunately, I've found that the opposite is also true (although it happens much less often) -- when asked to research something and you come up with an incredible case directly on point, the attorney thinks you're a genius. Oh well. It comes with the territory, I guess...

2 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Elle Woods said...

I work for 2 attorneys, one is exactly like you described.

The other is the exact opposite. When I first had some had news to tell him I was all nervous and he just was like "ohh, ok, I guess that doesn't work then."

I have learned you have to be VERY certain in the way you present it. That helps a little.

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

confidence helps a lot -- the more definitive you are about "this will work because..." or "this won't work because..." the more attorneys seem to respect your opinion. (i'm learning that --sometimes the hard way -- this summer!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home