Sunday, July 16, 2006

Is the end near?

I’m still here. I just have nothing to say. Well, that’s not entirely true. I have lots to say, but I don’t want to say it on this blog.

For what it’s worth, I’m thinking of shutting down this blog. Maybe I will. Maybe I won’t. I'm not trying to be coy. I just don’t know. I think I'll wait until August or September to see if the start of the school year inspires me to write more. For now, there’s nothing going on in law school that I want to write about and unlike some people – I try to keep the personal stuff to a minimum.

I find that the blogs (or blawgs, I guess) where people open their minds and write about all their insecurities are the most interesting. We all have insecurities so I guess it’s a voyeuristic thing – we like to see others bare their souls. And law school started out being such an intense experience that reading blawgs made me feel like I had a kinship with all these people in all these places. I guess there’s comfort in knowing you’re not alone. But with only one year left of law school, the experience, while still stressful and intense (at times), is nowhere near as all-encompassing as it was when we were 1Ls. It seemed so important and it took over my life. Now, not nearly as much. Anyway, so even though I have another year of law school, it feels like one foot is already out the door and with each passing day the other foot gets farther out the door.

Law school is still a ton of work (I’m filling out those clerkship applications and just putting the stuff together is like clawing through quicksand) and I’m sure being a 3L won’t be like being a second-semester high school senior (where you did basically nothing), law school is less of my identity than it was two years ago. Much less. I don’t know about you, but back then, law school was my life. True, I was married (and I'm still happily married!), so I did see my wife and I went to the gym, but I’d say law school took up about 90 percent of my brain. Now, it’s much less.

Does that make any sense? So I started this blog (actually, I started my old blog, then got rid of that one for this one) because I wanted to write about my experiences in law school, offer my thoughts on what I liked and didn’t like and point out the absurdity of it all. But now that I’m in my third go-around with it all, it seems less interesting. I don’t know. Maybe I’m just in a slump because it’s summer. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not down or depressed. I’m having a great summer, but part of the reason is because I’m not in law school, although one of my jobs involves being at the school three days a week so it’s not like I got completely away. I’m just down on my blog. So I guess I’ll see what happens.

8 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the deal? I saw you in the courthouse last week and I didn't get a complimentary head nod.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger some guy said...

Uh, sorry. Didn't mean to slight you. Didn't see you. Who are you, anyway?

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you get divorced?

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger some guy said...

Aw, geez, I didn't think about how that sounded with the word "then." I'm still happily married. I'm gonna edit the post now.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger X said...

Maybe, you'll change your mind later. I know I've gone months without posting in the past. Besides, I think it will be nice to keep the posts and laugh at all the trivial things we've gotten worked up about. Of course things don't seem trivial now but I have a feeling later they will seem trivial. Some things anyway.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got abandoned blog trash scattered all over the web for just the same reason you're talking about.

I shut my best blog down for contractual reasons, and after that I had a few pitty-party blogs that got old to me in a hurry. Those are a fucking nightmare.

Anyway, I hate to see a blog unattended like an abanoned slum house, but sometimes it happens.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't scrap your blog. If you do, no decent UM Law blogs will exist. Although I do read and enjoy Froomkin's blog, as a student I prefer reading yours.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger some guy said...

Wow -- "decent" -- that's the nicest thing anyone's said about this blog in months! Thanks anonymous commenter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home