Wednesday, August 16, 2006

back to school...soon

School starts again in a few days, so I figure I’d better fire this thing up again.

Yesterday I spent a couple hours at orientation for my small role in the process. It involved sitting at a table and talking to 1Ls. I know what you’re probably thinking – oh my God, they let you, Some Guy, near the incoming 1Ls? Was that a mistake? What were they thinking? But rest assured that I was on my best behavior and made not a single negative comment. The thing is, although I have been down on law school over the past eight months, my intention isn’t to bring down anyone else. If others want to be disillusioned and frustrated with the entire law school process, I’ll let them figure that out for themselves. If not, well, that’s great. But invariably, just like in each of the last two years, I guarantee you at some point this semester I’ll walk past a group of 1Ls and catch snippets of their conversation that will include comments like “I feel like I’m paying $34,000 a year for high school all over again” and “Hey, tell me again why I’m working so hard? When exactly do we see the payoff?”

Anyway, so I remember orientation two years ago. I wasn’t so worried about the orientation part but the worst thing was all the waiting. I guess it was nice to not have to go straight to work but the anticipation of that first class was unbearable. I just wanted it to get moving already.

Now I can honestly say that yesterday was the first time I was even a little bit excited about going back to school. I’d kind of been dreading it over the summer but now I don’t dread it as much. After all, I chose to be in law school and theoretically I could quit at any time. But I won’t. Not when I’ve come this far.

Now I just have to find a job and avoid losing my mind over the anxiety of finding a job in the meantime…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home