Thursday, September 07, 2006

Karma

They say karma is a bitch, but maybe it goes too far sometime.

Last school year I worked at a small firm with four lawyers. One of the lawyers – who I almost never worked for – was a real asshole. He screamed at everyone: colleagues, paralegals, secretaries, opposing counsel and even clients. His way of dealing with opposing counsel was to bully them. He single handedly made that office a miserable place to work both for me and for the support staff. It’s no coincidence that they went through about eight different file clerks and secretaries during the eight months I worked there. Every couple of weeks there were new support people. His office was next to mine so I spent a lot of time listening to him yell at people. He regularly reduced one of the secretaries to tears before eventually firing her. I concluded that he was just a nasty, despicable person. I only saw a human side of him once when I caught him and the paralegal making out (yeah – kissing) in his office.

Anyway, I recently ran into another guy who worked there when I was there. He told me that this lawyer blew his brains out about a month after I left. He did it in the office. Disturbing. Needless to say, the firm moved to a different office…

4 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, that's CRAZY. One of the people we sued during my summer job killed himself - that was the saddest thing that happened.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I think it goes along with what my husband tells me whenever I have to deal with someone really unpleasant: Just keep reminding yourself that if you had that person's life, you might be a real jackass, too.

It's true. Happy people are not asspumps.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger X said...

That's crazy. You never know what people are going through. It makes me wonder what things lead up to his death.

A lot of people don't like counseling because they want to avoid the stigma of being considered crazy. I think people should be encouraged to talk to counselors when they're displaying aggressive behavior on a consistent basis. It's so natural to assume the person is a jerk when there may be something else going on.

If I was a partner with an aggressive partner that out of control then I would intervene. We would have to talk about what's going on. It's bad for business. Also, I would really be concerned about my partner, since I wouldn't choose to work with a bad person, so I would know from his bad behavior something was wrong.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger SuperBee said...

Yikes.

And quesarasara: I love the word "asspump." It's going in my daily vernacular.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home