Friday, October 06, 2006

All quiet on the law school front

I’ve found that as a 3L, my level of motivation for law school is approaching dangerously low levels. I never thought I’d be That Guy, but I’m dragging. I’m not saying I hate law school or that I’m not doing any work. I’m doing the necessary work for classes and I’m also working 16 hours a week at a law firm (which makes for especially long days on Tuesdays when I have lit skills class at 7 a.m. and then a full day of work). For the most part, the workload this year is very manageable with occasional weeks where I have a project for my other law school obligation. This is the first time since law school started that I can honestly say this.

But with the exception of occasionally interesting days in lit skills, I feel like I’m just going through the motions of being a law student. I can’t quite put a finger on the problem because the more time I spend at work – and it’s a decent job where people are extremely nice and professional, unlike in some other law offices where I’ve worked – the more I realize that I should take the time to enjoy my last year of law school. I’ll be 34 years old when I graduate and my three-year hiatus from the real world will be over. Permanently. I don’t think I’ll be taking another break from reality to go back to school.

The more I think about this, the more I think maybe there isn’t a problem after all. What I mean is that if life is good, despite the lack of interest in law school, then I should continue enjoying my last year before re-entering the workforce. I’ve already done things I never did during the first two years (nothing crazy, but two years ago I would never have dreamed of skipping a class to go to a Marlins game). On the other hand, am I really taking advantage of my last year of law school? I don’t know how to answer that question because I don’t know what that means. I guess I need to be doing the things that appeal to me about being a law student and that I won’t be able to do next year…

4 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So on almost every interview I went to for jobs or clerkships, I asked: "What would you do in your last year of school, knowing now what you didn't know then?" Universally, no matter associate, clerk, partner, or judge, the answer was: Relax.

You are right, the sun is setting on your final year of school. It will be a long time before you get this much down time again. Enjoy it.

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad about skipping class. Speaking as a fellow 3L, when I didn't find a spot in the parking lots adjacent to the law school, I went home instead of parking in the garage because I dread taking the shuttle.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger SuperBee said...

DON'T DO WORK. Go out, get drunk, have a hangover, and forget about showing up to your classes. Except Lit Skills.

Drink. A lot. And then, start doing work pre-Thanksgiving.

Study for two weeks... and then go back to drinking. Lord... if I could re-live second and third years in law school...

::sigh::

Enjoy it. And stop being so conflicted. You have a couple more months reprieve and then it's the bar. So get it all out of your system again. Because the most important thing I've learned over the past year and change is: there are no more naps after law school.

Remember that.

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, part of the trick is taking the right classes: make sure that at least some of your courses next semester have nothing to do with what you know. Take some risks. This is your last chance to broaden your knowledge, and maybe to fall in love with something you didn't really know existed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home