Monday, December 11, 2006

How the Other Half Lives

These two articles are interesting because they show how the other half lives. OK, it's more like the other 1 percent. Sometimes you think that you're in law school, just like tens of thousands of other people around the country, so you'll eventually be a lawyer, just like about a million other people, so you'll be fantastically wealthy some day. Or more likely not. While it would be great to get a $65,000 bonus after a few years of working for a law firm, or a $200,000 hiring bonus (after a Supreme Court clerkship), I don't think I relate much to these types of people. The $65,000 bonus may as well be a $40 million bonus that a CEO gets, or an insanely unrealistic contract signed by a mediocre right-handed pitcher. So sure, that kind of money would be great, but it's just as likely that I'll some day be handed a $65,000 bonus as it is that I'll get a $40 million bonus some day. (Not very likely, in case you're having trouble following my logic). And although I don't yet have a job lined up, ultimately it's OK. I mean that in all seriousness. Although I'd give anything to come back in my next life as a professional baseball player, I'm fine with not inhabiting this legal world. Why? I don't want to bill 2,500 hours a year. Do you?

And speaking of the smarty pants types, wouldn't it be nice to go to Yale Law School, where grading is all pass/fail? Exam time there must be a picnic...

2 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I'm sorry, I am a little confused . . . are you saying, then, that if you were offered one of these law firm jobs, making 130K plus bonus, you wouldn't take it?

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger some guy said...

Yeah, I don't really know, but I guess my point is sort of that I'm not being offered one of those jobs and that's fine with me. Or maybe I'm just rambling a little in this post. I don't know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home