Thursday, December 21, 2006

Not much

So I'm playing grownup this week and working every day. I figured it was a good idea to (1) make some money and (2) make a good impression seeing as how I'm gunning for an eventual job offer from this place and (3) although in principle I like the idea of a break and sitting around on my ass, with my wife working and most people I know out of town, I'd be bored senseless if I sat at home all week (and we're going out of town in two weeks for a vacation).

During the semester I worked two days a week and for the most part, was pretty busy all day. They are always telling me how busy they are -- and by the looks of it, they're pretty damn busy -- so they were ecstatic when I told them I'd work all week. So what happens? They're too busy to give me any work to do. OK, that's not entirely true. I've been doing a lot of work, but I haven't been all that busy (which is why I'm updating my blog from the office). Yeah, I guess it's OK though since I still get paid even if don't bill the hours.

4 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

working in a law firm, or at all, as a 3L is lame - you will be working plenty when you get out. go have a life - make a friend - read a book - contemplate your naval one last time. Soon enough, your clients, or your law firm will cut you off for being an interesting person.

Cheers!
Merry Christmas!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger some guy said...

Yeah, having a paycheck sucks. Working is a bad idea. Having a job makes you lame.

Anon, some of us can manage a job, school and a life. You're either a total fucking idiot or you get (or got if you're a law school grad) a nice allowance from mommy and daddy.

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohh... you're a pissy little law student.

just so you know: i am a law student, i get no money from my parents, i have a great job lined up (but i still may be stupid - you never know), and i have worked part time during other semesters while taking a full courseload and did fantastically both scholastically and personally. what i mean to say, that you are perhaps incabable of understanding, is that the work you do at a law firm as a law student is meaningless or at best not very helpful to you. there is, i believe, a better time and place to play lawyer - e.g. when you are a lawyer.

in the meantime, do some legal research, write a law review article and get it published (i refer to this, rather glibly, as contemplating your naval - and very interesting). also, spend more time with your wife, make some new friendhsips while you are still a student and have the time to do so, or solidify old ones. take up a new intellectual hobby e.g. learn to speak a new language, read extensively about chinese history or genetics or microchip facbrication or trading futures. these are all things that add MUCH more value than your piddly part-time paycheck for doing doc review (or whatever - don't retort that you write all these great motions - i don't have time to listen). and as a result of investing in yourself these last few months of law school, you will become a slighlty more interesting person.

but, excuse me if you already regularly publish law review articles, have a rolodex full of friends and contacts, have a satisfied wife, take full courseloads of challenging courses and speak multiple languages fluently, and have satisfied all of your other intellectual curiosities and also work at some firm in coral gables...

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Christa said...

it is always the innocuous posts that generate blog feuds. for this i am eternally grateful.

keep up the good work, some guy. and i'm sure your wife is satisfied. word around the campfire is that you're hung like an elephant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home