Wednesday, February 07, 2007

all that learnin'

The other day I was thinking about the bar exam and how I don’t remember a single thing I learned in my first year of law school and how that's not good but that I'm not going to worry about that now even though my wife's cousin said I should start studying for the bar an hour a day after spring break.

Anyway, a day or so later, I was doing something at work where the parol evidence rule and statute of frauds came up. I’m not claiming to be a legal scholar or a genius but in the context of what I was doing, these concepts made perfect sense and seemed almost self-evident.

So why did they seem so foreign and difficult to grasp back then? Maybe because everything is so new? I’m hesitant to blame Professor Contracts although he was masterful at making everything as confusing and unwieldy as possible.

I don’t know. Maybe this isn't a great revelation. I just think it’s interesting that what seemed so overwhelmingly complicated two years ago now makes sense on an intuitive level. I guess that means that I’ve actually learned something over the last 2 ½ years…

3 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger X said...

Some people at my school have started reviewing bar subjects. Personally, I think it's overkill to start now. However, what do I know. I've never taken and passed the bar. Although, I do know myself.

I don't have time with classes and other obligations. Moreover, I rather have my bar prep materials before I study. I wouldn't want to run out of practice problems or burn out either. I wouldn't want to spend months learning the law improperly or focusing on law that probably won't appear on the bar. It might be cool to browse them some old 1L outlines to review. Although, I'm not studying hardcore until after graduation. I really think it's a waste of time to study right now, especially if you're paying for bar prep. If you could study without bar prep then why pay for it. Unless you think you'll have less to study during bar prep by studying eariler. I guess it would make sense in that scenario if you only studied something like your two weakest subjects.

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure Prof Contracts would be flattered!

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mind has had time to ruminate over the concepts since first year, even though you might not realize it.

So now that you're reviewing, it recognizes familiar concepts and the issues are easier to grasp.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home