Friday, March 16, 2007

open the book

I haven't read anything in my Admin Law book since the second week of classes. Do you think this will be a problem about six weeks from now? I'm taking the class pass/fail and the exam is open book but I'm actually worried that I might fail. If I'm not mistaken I think anything below a C is considered failing, right? I think the secret will be to leave my laptop at home for the next class because I'm now incapable of paying attention to an professor when I have a laptop in front of me. It's like a sickness. And it's worse in Admin because the class is almost three hours long. This is a relatively new thing for me; it's developed over the past year and a half. As a 1L I never went online during class. Ok, almost never -- I did in Public Interest, but even then, I felt guilty about it. (By the way, I think that's one of the reasons being a 1L is so stressful - it requires so much mental energy). As a 2L I went online but only in the less important classes. Never in Evidence, that's for damn sure. Now I can barely focus on the professor for more than five consecutive minutes.

**
I keep going on job interviews but not getting jobs. At least none of the places have officially sent a rejection but they also haven't given any offers either. More interviews lined up for next week, so that's good.

5 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it goes without saying, but you should go to these interviews clean shaven. Including removing any facial hair. Even the facial hair you may think makes you look smart.

 
At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I can barely focus on the professor for more than five consecutive minutes.

I keep going on job interviews but not getting jobs.

Couldn't be any connection between these two facts, could there?

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger some guy said...

Good point. Job interviews are very similar to law school classes with the professor/interviewer droning on about arcane legal theory. I should probably stop using the Internet in the job interviews. Thanks for the tip!

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Anonymous.

If you are so bored with law in class, might it be that this lack of interest shows through in the interviews? Especially if they ask you anything about law school....

PS. Administrative law is neither 'arcane' nor 'legal theory' -- it's the real meat of the law, where the rubber meets the road for millions -- yes millions -- of cases per year that are adjudicated, most without ever seeing a courtroom.

We at UM are fully capable of doing both 'arcane' and 'legal theory' (try my Jurisprudence course!) but Adlaw isn't the place where that stuff happens.

-Michael Froomkin
(the other adlaw teacher)

PS. I always advise students not to take Adlaw pass/fail (although I allow it) because in my experience the pass/fail students get A's or C-'s and they are unhappy either way.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the shaving. Try to have as "conservative" of a look as possible (like normal hair cut, clean shaven, regular colored suit / shirt, no outlandish tie, etc). And if you have a tendency to be unenthusiastic during interviews, drink some coffee. They want to hire people with lots of energy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home