Tuesday, April 03, 2007

ungrateful asshole

So there's this person in my Copyright class. I don't think I've ever had a conversation with he or she in all of law school. Ok, it's a she. She was also in my Evidence class. I found her to be really annoying based on the questions she asked. No big deal. That kind of thing happens - we all occasionally think someone is annoying for whatever reason. (I'm sure some people even find me to be annoying! (shocking, I know!) (although it wouldn't be based on annoying questions because I rarely talk in class.)

I don't think I spent a single second outside of Evidence class (this was a year and a half ago) thinking about her. Until one day last year when I was standing on the side of an aisle in the theater waiting for a speech to start. For no particular reason I just randomly turned around to look into the seats and she was glaring at me (I was standing against the wall; she was looking right at me, not behind me or elsewhere) giving me this look that said "I hate that guy. I fucking hate him." Strange. Still, so what? So nothing. I wondered why, but still thought nothing of it for more than about five minutes. No big deal, I thought. She doesn't like me. I don't care in the slightest.

Then the next time I saw her other than in passing was at the beginning of this semester in Copyright. She didn't ask anywhere near as many annoying questions as in Evidence. I still didn't give her much thought other than to think "oh, that's the annoying girl from Evidence."

Until recently when the professor announced that this person had her laptop stolen, so could people please e-mail her their notes. First I smiled to myself and thought, 'no fucking way, she's annoying so why would I give her my notes?' But for some reason, I thought that even though I've still never had an actual conversation with her and she probably hates me for reasons unknown to me, I'd send her my notes. So I did. I've never had my laptop stolen but I've had it crash and it's a pain in the ass. Although I wouldn't necessarily expect anyone to help me if that happened, I would sure appreciate it. So I did what I thought was a nice thing, you know, kinda like the whole golden rule.

And what did I get in response? Nothing. Not a thank you, not even an acknowledgment e-mail or in person, nothing. Nothing. Nada. Seriously.

Now I hope she is practicing law in the same area as I because if I ever face her in litigation, I will destroy and crush her (and her client). I promise.

15 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sent her mine and I also got no thank you. I should've filled them with mistakes first.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger some guy said...

You too? Should we send her a follow up e-mail asking if she got the first e-mail? I thought it was just that she didn't like me. Instead she apparently has the social skills of a troll.

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you guys aren't the only "nice" people in the class. It's possible that the entire class sent her their notes and she doesn't have time to respond to a hundred emails.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger some guy said...

What are you talking about? Human beings with even the most rudimentary social skills understand the concept of thanking people when people offer help, especially when the help was sorely needed.

If she got e-mails from 100 people and couldn't spend the 20 minutes (or 60 minutes? I don't know how long it would take) it would take to write a one word response then she's got serious problems.

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right. Getting a semester worth of notes for nothing merits at least a 'thank you'.

You are officially validated. I even pictured her as this girl I knew from 1L year - she flirted with me just to get some outline she heard I had.

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's definitely not a matter of not having time. I passed our 'friend' yesterday, said hi to and made small talk with another girl she was walking with and the notes thief didn't even bother to say hello, let alone thank you.

 
At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you just send her an email that says "you're welcome."? I often say that when I hold a door open for someone and they don't say "thank you."

Don't get hung up on the fact that she's an evil-spirited person. Find solace in the fact that you did a good deed for someone.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger some guy said...

Yeah, I'm thinking of sending her an e-mail just asking if she received them but I wonder if that would be passive aggressive. I hate passive aggressive people.

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why you feel that you need a "thank you." It took you two seconds to forward your notes to her. It's not like you gave her your kidney.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger some guy said...

You have a serious problem with your reasoning skills. In fact, that might be one of the dumbest comments ever left on this blog. No one wants credit for the two seconds it took to forward them. Yes, that was effortless. That's obvious.

See, the thank you is for the work I (and the others) did in taking the notes. It's also for being generous enough to share them, despite not knowing her at all. I didn't have to share them. She's a stranger. I did the work.

People with normal social skills say thank you when someone does something nice for them.

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You would have done the work whether or not she needed the notes. So why do you need a thank you "for the work I (and the others) did in taking the notes."?

As for needing a thank you for being "generous," it just shows that you weren't genuinely concerned with helping her. Why do you need validation for a so-called "generous" act? Maybe the person does lack some social skills, but calling her an "ungrateful asshole" is a little much.

That's a great argument technique, by the way -- saying that a comment is the "dumbest... ever left on this blog." It's particularly effective in a sandbox.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger some guy said...

I feel sorry for you. I mean that sincerely; I feel pity for you. Anyone too stupid to understand the basic concept of thanking another is just a moron. You're going to have a rough go of it being as dumb as you are. Don't sweat it though - the world has plenty of room for dumb people and you can probably have a nice life. Plenty of dumb people get rich. Someone has to be on the bottom, right?

By the way, you can respond to my comment but I'm done responding to you.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Christa said...

i think anonymous just did a weak job of hiding the fact that she is the woman who did not thank people for the notes. she probably now feels like an ass and realizes she was being a brat and now has to compensate by trying to justify her actions anonymously.

i love getting involved in blog fights that don't have anything to do with me except that i'm friends with the blog's author.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting this upset over someone not thanking you for something that took you no extra effort whatsoever is just as childish, if not more childish, than not giving the thank you in the first place. Can you refute this without saying "That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard"?

Since you seem to be incapable of of engaging in a discussion without resort to name-calling, I will come down to your level for a brief moment: You are a sad, bitter, pathetic little boy.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Bricks and Porter said...

God I miss law school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home