Tuesday, May 15, 2007

And so it begins

So day one of PMBR was pretty awful. Actually if today was all there was, I'd be in great shape. We did criminal today (law and procedure!). I got tons wrong on the practice test. I did terrible. But I really didn't let it bother me. I didn't even grade my practice exam because everyone told me you just get discouraged and people all around me were graduating and saying they got 15, 17, 19 or so right (out of 50). But I wasn't all that discouraged. The lecture was helpful. It was all just lists of elements of crimes, acronyms and blackletter law to look for. No bullshit, like in law school classes. I learned a few things and I took notes that I'll be studying over the next two months. But then when I think that I have five more multistate subjects, then about 25,000 state subjects (actually I'm told that we're lucky because Florida only has 13 (I think) while some states have as many as 20, but I don't feel so lucky about that...), well, uh, I'm a little less optimistic about my chances. I still can't comprehend how I am supposed to learn so many subjects, then keep them all in my head. I have absolutely no idea.

And what a letdown after the weekend (graduation, parties, etc.). Wow. This is gonna be the best summer EVER!

**
Graduation was a great time, but what was the deal with that elderly woman mispronouncing everyone's name? That wasn't funny at all. I know she's 84 or so years old and I heard she recently lost a member of her family but it stopped being amusing after she butchered the first 10 or so names (for example, a guy named Michael was called "Michelle" and a guy named Colin was called "Coleena"). She got my name right but when I watched the webcast I noticed she paused before reading my name for several seconds, which was longer than she paused before anyone else's name. Strange. Anyway, despite that, I really enjoyed it and am surprised that I did because I was kind of neutral about the whole thing leading up to it.

6 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger Elle Woods said...

Yeah, we did torts-which I'm sure will be my best subject and I barely broke 20.

Michigan has over 20 subjects for the state portion. I basically want to die.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger X said...

I've averaged a 17 in Torts and a 19 in Contracts so far. My memory is horrible, so I didn't expect to remember the details of all those 1L subjects. I was nervous after Torts. I thought I had only gotten 3 right.

We'll get it. All I need is my memory and good hand writing. I don't know about PMBR. It's not what I expected. I don't feel comfortable listening to the law after blindly answering questions with no studying. I prefer to read the law myself. The odds of me looking at these notes again are slim. I'll probably end up using the Bar-Bri materials for the law and the PMBR books for practice. We'll see.

A lot of people didn't show up for day two until the lecture section. I might end up doing the same because traffic is crazy in the morning.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger SuperBee said...

You'll be fine. You'll learn the stuff, and you'll just do it.

There will be things you don't know, and fuck those things.

But you'll pass. You'll see.

This is your last hurdle. It's like 1L year all over again. Pretend you're a 1L and you'll be fine. But remember, it's a Marathon, not a sprint. 50 Multistate questions from PMBR every day, and read an outline. I didn't really start learning Florida subjects until a month before the test.

And Essays? I never read or did them. Oops.

Go get 'em, Tiger!

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger some guy said...

Thanks for the encouragement, SuperBee. Day Two (evidence) was about 1000 times worse than Day One. Fuck.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger SuperBee said...

Evidence is REALLY HARD. The only way you're going to learn it is by doing the questions. Evidence and property = heinous. Criminal Law and Procedure = cakewalk!

And contracts? For-fucking-get it. I'm now stupider for having read some of those contracts questions.

 
At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe you should try to stay positive...trick yourself into being excited about this instead of groaning after one day. it's a good testing strategy, anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home