Friday, May 04, 2007

the good with the bad

So any reader of this blog knows what I won't miss about law school once I graduate, pass the bar and move back into the real world. I've blogged about what I don't like ad nauseum.

But I was thinking lately that there are a few things I'll miss. Here's a list in no particular order of what I'll miss when my three-year hiatus from reality comes to an end and I rejoin the working world.

1. Wearing shorts every day
Yeah. Better than wearing a suit (or even business casual).

2. Taking naps whenever I want
I loved having the option of taking short naps in the middle of the day.

3. Answering only to myself
You have class and some group obligations but you can put in as much or little effort as you want, unlike when you work for someone else and your paycheck depends on it.

4. The Wellness Center on campus
Or, more specifically, having time and the opportunity (because it was right on campus) to work out every day.

5. How everything changes every four months.
With each semester, then the summer, your entire routine changed. I liked this because you weren't stuck doing the same thing day after day, month after month, year after year. And if you found you were stuck in a rut, you knew it would all change in a couple of months.

6. Summer, winter and spring breaks
Duh, self-explanatory

7. The vague and rare sense that my future as an attorney is wide open.
Many things interested me. Lots of others didn't. Most lawyers say they had no idea back in law school that they would end up doing X or Y or Z and now they love doing it. So I find the uncertain and hopeful future to be something exciting. Not that I was all starry eyed about my prospects, but I'm just saying that occasionally I felt like I had a whole world out there available to me and that seemed exciting.

8. Free Westlaw and Lexis access
OK, it wasn't free given how much we paid in tuition but that stuff is expensive so you'd better have a damn good reason for looking up some random issue once you're working.

9. Unlimited printing
So despite the uproar last fall about printing limits, I ended up with unlimited printing because of a campus group I belonged to. I didn't abuse the system. Seriously. But damned if I didn't print out stuff that I wouldn't have printed had it not been free.

1 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Wow - now I'm all excited about everything I have to look forward to in three months! Sucks you're going back into the working world. :-P Hey, maybe you be part of our corporate counsel and spend your days agonizing over whether we can say "have an alternative practice structure" or "operate in an alternative practice structure" or "are affiliated through an alternative practice structure."

P.S. Did you see my blog from last week? There was a pink slip massacre up in Bloomington.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home