Tuesday, May 22, 2007

What do you think? I don't think anything

So instead of complaining about Bar-Bri and the misery of studying for the bar exam, here are some random observations from the past couple of days:

Epstein, the Bar-Bar contracts lecturer, is fantastic. I mean that sincerely. Each of the three-hour lectures over the past two days just flew by. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean I'm more or less likely to remember anything he said (except the thing about the armadillos in the back of the greyhound bus with the yellow neckerchiefs as constituting seller's delivery on a shipping contract) in 10 weeks but he has made the first two days of Bar-Bri much less painful than I expected.

**
I overheard this exchange this morning before the lecture started:

Guy: I don't have a job, I'm looking in this city, that city, [blah blah blah]. How about you, what are you going to do?
Girl: Nothing.
Guy: What?
Girl: Yeah, I'm taking the year off to travel and do charity work.

What the fuck?

**
I have no idea how to develop a study schedule for myself. I plan to do every single thing Bar-Bri tells me to do and hopefully on the day they tell me to do it. I don't think I need to write out the specific times I plan to study, eat and sleep. The guy said something about making goals for yourself for each day. What does that mean? I was thinking of trying to review 1-2 other subjects each day besides the three assigned by Bar-Bri (one subject to be read, one to do questions for and a different one being lectured on) because my biggest concern is forgetting one subject at the expense of another. I also don't plan to be studying past 8 or 9 p.m., at least not until the last three weeks or so. But most people I know who passed said if you more or less treat it as a 9-5 job (more like 9-7, 8 or 9) (again, at least until the last few weeks) you're doing enough. I know if I do every assigned question I'll have done somewhere around 2,100 questions (including PMBR questions). As they say, quality is much more important than quantity, right?

**
I've gone to the live lecture every day. I'm a little sick of getting there early just to get a seat in there, so I guess I might see about the broadcast version. I actually like having a live person talking to me rather than watching someone on screen but it can't be all that much better, can it? I guess I'll only know when I try the non-live room.

**
So the other day during a break from the PMBR criminal lecture, this woman sitting next to me expressed her confusion about one of the problems. Basically in the problem this guy who thought someone owed him $200 knocked on the door, then went inside because the guy wasn't home. He took the guy's TV outside and set it on fire. The answer was that this was larceny, not burglary. Actually I'm not sure I got this one right when I first tried it but once we learned the difference between burglary and larceny, it made sense (no intent to commit any other crime when he entered). Anyway, the difference between the crimes is not my point.

What surprised me was that this woman next to me couldn't understand why it was any crime. She assumed that because the guy thought he was owed $200 that it was OK - and not a crime at all - to break in and take the TV outside and burn it. Uh, since when do you have the option to just invent a remedy for yourself if you believe your property has been taken? (You don't...I'm not sure you need three years of law school to realize that the American legal system doesn't allow you to take the law into your own hands). Then a day or two later I was talking to this woman again and it turns out she's taking the bar for the third time. Ouch.

4 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger X said...

Some Guy, I think she was getting the fact pattern confused with the intentional tort defense of recapture of chattel. Although, that's not even applicable because as you said he created his own remedy by taking something else.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger some guy said...

Possibly, but I think you're giving her too much credit!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Law Daze said...

** EVIDENCE I **

READ: Convisor Evid (46 pgs)
LECTURE: Evidence I

Review Barbri Handout Notes

150 Q's: Intro (40) Inter(40);
PMBR Red (51)

Review Q&A

Rewrite 6-Day Notes + RULES

MicroMash: 19 Evidence Questions


** EVIDENCE II **

READ: Federal Rules of Evidence

Review 6-Day Notes + RULES

LECTURE: Evidence II

Review Barbri Handout Notes

100 Q's:PMBR Red(50);MicroMash(50)

Review Q&A

Yeah, the schedule/goal thing is good. It either keeps you on track or makes you feel awful when you're not. I used this calendar:

http://www.keepandshare.com/calendar

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I'm glad you understand that you can't just take the law into your own hands, because I still owe you a prize from the Oscar pool. Please don't set my TV on fire.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home