Thursday, June 14, 2007

sit

So a friend of mine who took and passed the bar last year said it's important, as it gets closer, to practice sitting in one place and doing problems for three-hour blocks of time. I'm not so sure about this. Don't get me wrong - I'm doing practice problems every day, I'll take the 6-hour Bar-Bri multi-state and Florida practice exam and the PMBR one during the three-day course (I think PMBR's first day is just a practice exam, right?) so I'm spending plenty of time sitting on my ass doing nothing but focusing on the exam (or at least trying to concentrate).

But do I really need to train myself to sit still for three consecutive hours? I don't know. Is that even something you can train yourself to do?

Before I took my first ever law school final exam the idea of sitting still and taking a test for three or four (or sometimes as many as five) hours seemed so daunting as to be impossible. But once I started taking exams, the hours just flew by and I had plenty of other things to worry so the actual part where I had to sit there and shut up for 3-5 hours wasn't a problem. The three hours of a law school exam goes by so quickly. I guess it's a little different on the bar exam because you can't drink water (and apparently getting up to take a leak is a big deal because you have to sign out and they follow you into the bathroom and the bathroom is really far away), but does that mean I should practice going three straight hours without a sip of water or using the bathroom? I don't know. It seems like I have enough to worry about, right?

3 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why not practice doing it? of course, we are getting a couple of simulated exams, but there's certainly no harm to you to block out some 3-hour time slots to practice the questions.

practice for the conditions of the test. it's the same method i used in studying for the lsat...i think it worked, anyway.

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you 'practice' for the law school exams by sitting down and writing or doing evidence problems for 3 hours straight? Probably not, I don't think you're going to freak out after hour number one because you have to keep going for two more.

You're a smart guy, do the work/problems but don't over think every little studying strategy. Remember there are people out there working full time AND studying for the bar. The rest of us can devote full time to studying. Just keep working at it and we'll be ok.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Liney said...

If we survive the summer with these practice questions, something tells me the time crunch will go unnoticed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home