Tuesday, July 10, 2007

14 days

The bar exam is two weeks from today. Start studying more? Start studying less? Do the same? I'm thinking option No. 3 - do more or less the same. I've been studying a lot. I could probably squeeze in an extra hour or two of studying a day but then I might go nuts. I don't know. They keep saying it's a marathon, not a sprint. I've never run a marathon. Do you sprint at the end? I think you do but only for the last 500 feet or so, right? Not for the last three miles. Eh. I don't know. I hate running. Unless there's someone chasing me. I work out regularly but I don't jog, although I've always wondered if I could run a marathon. I actually think a triathlon is more my speed although I hate biking so that's probably a bad idea. Ooops, sorry, I got a little sidetracked there...

I'm going to take one of the two Florida practice exams tomorrow. The Florida essays are brutal - I do great on some and on others I am sure I would barely crack the minimum 40 needed to pass.

I did some of the BarBri released questions. I scored slightly higher than on the other ones. Does "released questions" means exactly what it says - that they were actual exam questions once? I assume so but I don't know. The MDR book also has a practice test. I like doing questions when they are "mixed" so you're not doing 15-20 in a row of one subject, then another subject, then another subject. I think it's more useful this way.

I haven't even finished all the questions in the big red PMBR book and I have yet to crack the PMBR bluebook. I'll probably do the 200 mixed questions/practice exam in the back of that bluebook later this week or early next week. Probably next week, I guess, since we have PMBR 3-day this Friday through Sunday. I don't think I'm ever going to do more than 100 at a time. It just makes no sense, unlike what I suggested earlier, to try and do more than 100 at a time. It has the opposite effect of what you might think - it makes my brain more muddled, rather than less. If you want to use the old analogy of the brain as a muscle, it's like me trying to bench 350 every day for a week - I'd be sure to rip a muscle or two and would get nothing accomplished at the end.

I did awful on a set of problems on Sunday so yesterday I did some of the BarBri Intro problems just to make sure I hadn't forgotten everything. I did well on those Intro problems so things aren't as bad as I thought. It's weird because even though I did well they didn't seem easy. I guess this means I know a little?

Two weeks. It's better if you don't think too hard about it (about the fact that it's two weeks away).

4 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger X said...

I thought I was the only one who hadn't finished the Red Book. My Blue Book is mint. I guess it balances out considering all the Bar/Bri questions we've done so far.

I feel you on not studying more. I cannot study more than the 8-12 hr range without getting a headache.

Now, my idea of fun is doing MBE questions because I'm getting tied of outlining/writing a few essays in a row. I'm really not looking forward to doing Performance exams everyday but I have to do what I have to do.

I'm still freaked out but I feel that I will be ready when the exam starts because we've been working hard for a while.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger SuperBee said...

For the record, I never cracked the Blue Book.

Keep on keepin' on. This was the point where I was putting in 14 hour days with a break for dinner.

I recommend studying in Richter on the Second Floor at those banks of windows parallel to that road that runs down to the fountain.

And also the questions on the Bar look like the Bar-Bri questions, not like the PMBR questions. So, you know, be prepared for that. Same font, etc. And they're generally shorter than the PMBR questions can be.

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree - i'm pretty confident in most subjects, but "two weeks" makes my stomach turn!

i did the barbri paced program and didn't do too much PMBR until the past week-and-a-half. let me tell you, these questions anger me. sometimes they are downright wrong, if not at least questionable. and i don't think it's good to focus on nuances, because then it can confuse you with the basics - the foundation.

i just started the PMBR blue book 2 days ago (did not finish red - they were getting ridiculous). it's sorta useful, but i think the barbri questions are so much better. not easier, necessarily, but more accurate and logical.

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephen Palmer from PMBR discussed released questions today during the 3-day class. "Released" does mean that the questions were actual exam questions. Even though there are about 70 questions on each MBE that are "repeats" from past years, the released questions will never be used again.

Apparently, the only reason they are released is because an administration of the test was somehow compromised. For example, several years ago, during the administration of the California bar exam, there was an earthquake and, in all the confusion, some test-takers walked out with their MBE exam booklet. Those questions were released.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home