Monday, July 16, 2007

about the bar exam

Just a few observations and thoughts:

I'm glad the 3-day PMBR is over. I think for some reason I had higher hopes. Whatever. I don't know how they could make it any better. The woman was kind of annyong but I don't think it's her fault.

**
She said to do one more practice test. Or maybe she said to do two. I don't remember. I'm not doing any more. I'm doing questions but not an entire practice test. I am dead to the world after a practice test and it takes me at least a day to recover. I never really thought I'd feel that way. But I'm fine after doing 60-100 questions in a morning and going over them in the afternoon.

**
The PMBR woman also said not to study next Monday. I think that's a little crazy. If anyone tells me that "if you don't know it now, you never will," I'll punch them in the face. That's just stupid. Sure, if you've never done one minute of studying on a subject and then try to cram it in on Monday, you're fucked. But having studied everything at least once, and most Florida topics a lot more than just once, I know that it will be a good chance to refresh my memory. I won't be studying 15 hours that day but since I'm getting to Tampa on Sunday I'll spend most of the day, maybe 9-5 or so, reviewing and studying. I guess I'll be doing much less on Sunday since that's when I'm driving up, but I'll be in my hotel room by 3 so I can definitely do a few hours. It's not like I have anything else to do in Tampa. What are you going to do on the day before?

**
A couple more interesting things she said: three or four questions on the MBE have two answers and you get credit for either. Great. I guess that's good because you have a 50 percent chance but you know when you see those you're going to struggle to figure out the right one and it's going to slow you down.

She said to add 25 points to your score if you happen to do the full test in the back of the PMBR blue book.

**
One thing I keep forgetting, for some reason, is about those 10 questions that don't count. I don't think anyone ever explained this well. Are there five in the morning and five in the afternoon? Does this mean there are actually 210 questions or does this mean there are only 190 graded questions? I guess it doesn't matter much, does it?

**
A lot of people (including me, of course) are worried about the Florida essays and keep talking about how they are worried about the Florida essays. But what about the Florida multiple choice? I'm plenty worried about those, too. I wonder what the rationale is for Florida not telling you what subjects are going to be tested. It sure makes it harder to study for. The essays are just a crapshoot - I could pick three random essays out of the yellow books and score 60-70 points on each. You could pick three random essays for me to do and I'd score about 20 on each. I'm pretty sure that everyone feels this way so there will be a mix of easy and hard.

4 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm going to be studying quite a bit for the florida portion on the monday before. i've studied a lot for florida, but there are so many subjects and so many tiny rules (# days, etc) that i think it's good to reinforce into short-term memory the day before.

i'm also not doing another practice test. i did the barbri class practice and the pmbr blue book practice, both under full test conditions, and that's enough. i agree, it wipes me out - not a good way to spend this time. still doing questions every day of course.

generally i'm focusing on brushing up on problem areas on both sections of the exam, as well as getting lots of sleep & eating well & trying not to get sick. i think it's a good plan. i feel so much better about the mbe than the florida portion, though.

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here, I'll take a look at a few Florida essays (homestead, referendums, special laws, incorporated/unincorporated) just so I can remember them Tuesday morning and maybe look over the Florida Testing Workshop handouts to help remind me of the Florida differences.

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what raw score we need on the MBE?

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Liney said...

Funny - one of my strategies if I don't know the answer is to mark answers wrong if two of them mean the same thing (I figure since only one can be right - if two are the same they have to be wrong)... damn you MBE!! Thwarting my attempts not to use my brain!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home