Friday, July 20, 2007

here i come, there i go

I'm fucking delirious. Yesterday I took half a practice test and scored lower than I've scored on any set of problems in the past two weeks. I know I can do this but that's not good for your confidence this late in the game.

I don't have much else to say about the process at this point. I'm still studying. I'm actually trying to ramp it down a little instead of ramping it up. I can't go crazy. I know the material. I really do - well, most of it (not so much when it comes to mortgages or the RAP). And I've done probably 2,000 practice questions, give or take. I haven't counted. I just need to make sure I recognize what's happening on the paper in front of me. It's beyond frustrating when I've gotten a problem wrong, then I read the answer and I know the point of law but I didn't recognize that this point of law is what was happening, or I picked a wrong answer choice. I guess it's much better that this happens then the opposite - getting something wrong because you had the law wrong or didn't have a clue what the law was. Right?

Another annoying thing is when PMBR or BarBri keeps repeating the same question over and over. That happens constantly. I did a few questions from the practice test in the back of the PMBR blue book and saw a lot of repeat questions. Why do they do that? On the one hand, you're hoping that the Bar Exam will also repeat the same question - with maybe a few small variations - so maybe it's good. On the other hand, it would be far more helpful to provide different fact patterns for the same answers. Does that make sense? Or maybe it's just not possible and the only way they can test a certain thing is to use that specific fact pattern.

Damn. I don't know. I want this to be over. Actually, I want it to be here.

10 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger The Law said...

you should look at it differently, the scores dont matter (you cant send in multiple lined sheets of paper numbered 1-34 with a bunch of check marks on them to NCBE).

look at it like a new learning session, you know more law now that you got stuff wrong.

so in the end, regardless of "score" you are in the "plus" in terms of knowledge.

i know, easy to say much harder to believe....

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Damn. I don't know. I want this to be over. Actually, I want it to be here."

Yup. Yup.

Which practice tests have you done?

I didnt' do the PMBR simulated exam, but here is how I rank the 3 practice exams I did and the BarBri "Mixed Questions" in the MDR book:

(1) PMBR Blue book (most difficult; worst -- but still passing -- score, and took it very recently, thus destroying my confidence for a couple days)

(2) BarBri Simulated in the MDR Book (not a terrible score, but still difficult; not many "gimmes")

(3) BarBri Mixed Questions in the MDR Book (not that much easier than number 2)

(4) BarBri Simulated MBE that we took in class (seems like the real thing, from what I can tell)

What do you think? What do the other commenters think?

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger some guy said...

I don't know. Sounds like an accurate analysis but I'm not sure about (4).
How can that be the real deal? I haven't gone back and looked at it to see if I'd do better now but average raw score was 105 (I think) and they didn't give you a number like PMBR did to scale it so that means the average is failing - by a long, long way.

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My two cents is that MBE will be easier than everything we've done so far. It's all about scaring us to study and training us on the most difficult problems. Then when you take the real test you'll be like, "Holy shit this is easy."

Like the crazy PMBR guy said -- 50 will be gimmies, 50 will be uber hard, and 100 will be basically like what we've been practicing on for the past 2.5 months. If you can get more than 70% of the 100 right, then you pass. Of course, you must take into account that only 190 are really graded so maybe a little different figures, but same theory.

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess what I meant was that the questions seemed to be the most representative of the ones we've done. Remember, we did that BarBri simulated "way back when" -- we know a LOT more now.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger The Law said...

PMBR question,

are the first 100 PMBR q's in the red book decidedly easier or are they a good representation? (i was just told that the questions get progresivly harder)

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger some guy said...

No idea. I put down the red book because the answers were too frustratingly incomplete. I can't even remember how high I got in each subject, probably around 100 or so.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger The Law said...

thanx guy.

i guess ill try the blue book or back to barbri

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Elle Woods said...

I can honestly FEEL things leaving my brain as I try to learn new things. That is why I just gave up on some things.

As for RAP, there is ONE question on it-just look for Cooper, vesting and think of the most white trash family ever and how late children could be born (like people I knew in high school who had aunts and uncles who were younger than them).

I also HATE the repeating of questions. The worst part is that half the time I'm like "ohh I got this wrong last time" and then I pick something else and it's STILL A WRONG ANSWER CHOICE.

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to get it done too, at this point it's just wondering if I've done enough or if what I did to study was right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home