Sunday, July 29, 2007

Is this the end?

I really hate when people blog about their blogs, but I rarely do it so I guess it's Ok once in a while.

So, the short answer: No, I still have a few more things to say over the next couple months (including a post I wrote before graduation about the faculty and my long-awaited promise (to myself) to call out my idiot LRW prof by name, which I will wait to do until I am admitted to the bar and then do it very carefully to make sure I haven't libeled him).

Longer answer: I'm not sure.

Now that law school is over and the bar exam is over, I'm not sure what to do with this blog. I've had this blog for two years and had another one for the year before that so I've been blogging for three years. At times over the years we were getting 70-80 hits a day. The blog peaked at about 115 per day during the bar exam. That's a lot, considering there are something like 70 million blogs out there (although in another life I wrote for a newspaper that had a circulation of close to 400,000 and almost 700,000 on Sundays so in comparison, it's sort of relative). It seems to have peaked second semester of second year and then reached new heights during the bar exam studying. And if you were reading, thanks (even if you read because you hated me, like that one guy).

The thing with law school blogs (or "blawgs," as they're called, but I think that's such a stupid word) is that there is a built-in audience. Now the built-in readership is gone - or soon to be gone. I won't blog a single word about my firm (I start in September) because everyone knows that's not a good idea. I'm not a brilliant legal scholar so I won't start blogging about legal issues. There are millions of political blogs out there so I won't do that. Some blogs that were terrific during law school become excruciatingly painful to read when the blogger talks about the minutiae of daily life - even if he's a minor celebrity and probably a future celebrity, too.

I could blog about a huge change that's coming to my life in late November but, well, that's not the kind of thing I really want to publicize day in and day out. I always thought I could be a good baseball blogger but there are so many good baseball blogs out there - and at least a few dozen sports blogs worth reading - that I won't even pretend I can come close (not too long ago I made a living writing about sports but it's tough to be good at it if you're not doing it full time).

For a good blog, you need a niche or a gimmick and I have to find one that isn't being covered. I don't know. I'll definitely post here when I get the bar results. I'll mull over what to do with this blog over the next few days and weeks. If you have any suggestions, I'm open to them (but don't suggest I blog about work; it's not happening).

In the meantime, I'll have only sporadic Internet access the next couple of days as we move and then I'll be out of the country for a couple of weeks so I'm not sure how often, if at all, I'll update.

**
It's been three full days and I'm still kind of on edge, irritable and absent minded. It's strange. Last night was the first time I got a good night's sleep. I guess it will take a little longer to recover than I thought.

2 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger The Law said...

looking forward to your blog about the faculty and LRW. i have the same kind of posting that i cant wait to send to the Donna...

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger SuperBee said...

Congrats on your new baby? ::spitting through fingers, warding off the "Evil Eye"::

 

Post a Comment

<< Home