Saturday, July 21, 2007

thinking too much about the bar exam




So I'm reading Deadspin.com yesterday instead of reading yet another essay about the four basic Family Law issues. And I see that the Kansas City T-Bones, an unaffiliated minor league team is holding Lunar Night, in which fans can actually win a deed to a plot of land on the moon.

If I was a normal person with a normal life, I would kind of laugh and say, ha, that's cool, that's funny. Then I wouldn't give it another thought.

Instead, my mind started racing about all the potential issues, including, but probably not limited to:

1. Is the deed validly executed? (Signed by two witnesses, notarized, etc.)
2. What is the recording statute used for land on the moon?
3. Who has jurisdiction to enforce such deeds - where, in other words, do I record the deed, regardless of recording statute?
4. Will the deed specifically describe the plot? Do they use metes and bounds on the moon and have legal descriptions like we have here on Earth (or at least in the U.S.)?
5. Can lunar plots be held in the way Earth parcels are held - JTWROS, T-I-C, T-by-E, etc.?
6. Do they have the same rules up there for easements, reciprocal covenants and equitable servitudes?
7. Although profits don't seem like a big deal on the MBE, you'd think the whole profit a prendre market up there might be intense because of all the natural resources in the ground. Maybe not. Are there natural resources in the ground up there?
8. Has the moon modified the common law Rule Against Perpetuities (because I'm thinking if they don't have it up there, they ought to just keep it that way because really no one needs the damn thing, right?).
9. What about mortgages? Can you even get a mortgage for moon property?

So, being a complete dork and not wanting to go back to Family Law, I did some investigation (actually a Google search). Apparently, there is a space registry that actually sells moon plots. Apparently they are only selling about two percent of the moon's surface, so only about 100 million acres are for sale. I guess that's OK. So, anyway, this is a lot less interesting than I thought. It still doesn't answer the above questions though.

**
Next post: from Tampa. Can't wait. I usually like road trips. This one will not be fun...

5 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will pass. I'd be willing to put money on it.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger some guy said...

Thanks! (I won't take that bet!)

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think that this post, were it an answer to a bar essay, would receive a passing score. :-)

here's wishing all bar applicants the best of luck

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger X said...

I'll wait to tender my earnest money until they build a Krispy Kreme on moon. The aliens will finally come out. That glaze is crack.

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SG, and everyone else who is taking the bar - GOOD LUCK!!!

Heading out to Tampa today...and so nervous.

But we're all gonna pass, so who cares?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home