Friday, September 07, 2007

it's on

So, I started work. It's fine. It's tough to tell what it will be like. They talked about hours and expectations but I need time to figure it all out. They said to bill every minute of my time on a matter and the partners will later figure out how much can actually be billed to the client. What I wanted to know, but didn't ask, is if what I put down is considered to be the hours I bill (for purposes of meeting my numbers) or is what they send to the client considered to be the hours I bill? Until I hear otherwise I'll assume the former, although I'm guessing it's the latter. We'll see. I'm billing everything for now.

Bar results come out a week from Monday. At work I'm considered an attorney, which is strange to me, since I'm not an attorney. Not yet. I even had a box of business cards waiting on my desk. I just tossed the box into a drawer. Once I pass I'll send one to grandma. But still, even though I'm doing the work of an attorney I don't consider myself a lawyer. Hopefully I'll be one in a week and a half. And I have an office with an actual door and window, which I know is standard for lawyers, but it's the first time I've ever had a job in which I have my own office.

Getting up early the past three days (I started Tuesday but didn't have to be in until 9:30 that day) hasn't been too tough. We'll see if it lasts. I think I miss not having a job, even though my job is fine. I could've used about two or three more weeks of vacation, although if I had those additional two or three weeks I probably would've wanted two or three more weeks...

**
Hey, am I the only one still getting e-mails from Dean V and Hope and other random events on campus? I'm clearly not getting all student e-mails but I'm obviously still on some lists. You'd think they could figure that out.

4 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Blogger X said...

You're probably enjoy the work once get some actual cases to work on.

Anyway, I went to school in a different state. They got their scores in August. I've been ambigous about things, so I can understand it's hard to tell. The MD results don't come back until November.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger The Law said...

congrats on the job

i dont start till the 17th, first day of work adn bar results at the same time, thats tension you can cut with a knife...

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also awaiting bar results, but for some reason at the firm where I am working, they still call me a law clerk. It kind of bothers me actually- you should enjoy being called an attorney, even if its not true.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger some guy said...

Joey, that's a good point. I wouldn't like being called a law clerk. I guess I'd just rather that when they introduced me they mentioned that the results are still forthcoming. I guess that's the insecurity - I don't want anyone to be surprised if, god forbid, it's a bad result...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home