Saturday, December 29, 2007

And then there were none

My wife is in a bookclub that formed at the beginning of my second year of law school. It consists of wives of law students. After the second year, two of the husbands graduated. They each had jobs lined up. They took the bar and started practicing. Within six months, both had quit and found new jobs. This year, there were five of us who graduated. Within two months, one quit his job. A month later, another quit and found a new job. A few weeks later, another person left his job. Now, it's my turn. I gave notice at my job yesterday. I found a new job that I'll be starting in about a week. It just wasn't a good fit for me, but I guess a lot of people feel that way about their first job out of law school. If you know my real name and happen to care, look me up on the bar website after next week because I'll change my contact information as soon as I'm no longer on the payroll at my current job.

5 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Blogger The Law said...

awesome for you congrats! im sure the last post summed up the bad "fit" at the last job. how did u find a job to lateral too? im thinking about switching it up but im nervious about it looking bad on my resume and i dont know where to begin looking at this point. any tips?

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger some guy said...

I don't really have any tips. I applied for openings and got an interview and got a job. I think I got lucky but you can never really tell and I hope I don't feel differently once I start.

The one thing I can say is that don't worry about leaving your job so soon after graduating. Say it wasn't a good fit. I had six interviews and everyone was very understanding about this. I think you get a bad rap if you leave your second job after four months and you're clearly a job hopper or a bad lawyer, but leaving one is understandable.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Liney said...

Hah - join the club - both my best friends quit their jobs by Thanksgiving. One found a new one, the other is still looking.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger X said...

Hey, Some Guy. I think I'm going to shut down the blog. We should exchange contact info, so we can stay in touch. -laughs- It seems like we almost went to law school together.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger some guy said...

sounds good, V. email me at my blog account someguyinlawschool@gmail.com and i'll reply with my real info

 

Post a Comment

<< Home