Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Here's why I love my law firm

It's 2:30 p.m. on December 24th. More than half of the attorneys are gone and about 75 percent of the support staff aren't working today. Several hours ago, we got an e-mail that the office will close at 2 p.m. today for those of us who bothered to show up. The reception area is dark. The place is deserted. I can't wait to get home to my wife and baby. I'm getting in the elevator when I hear, from down the hall "hold the elevator." I hold it. In walks a certain partner in the firm.

The following conversation:

Him: Ready for your first Christmas as a family? (he knows about my new baby)
Me: No. I'm Jewish (a fact he knows given that we've discussed my going to Synagogue on the high Holy Days a few months ago)
Him: So? You guys don't get a tree?
Me: No. We don't celebrate Christmas.
Him: So why are you leaving early on Christmas Eve?
Me: [speechless, staring at him, looking for a sign of a smile, some indication that he's joking, and finding no such indication] Um, the office is closed
Him: So? You just said you don't celebrate Christmas
Me: [staring at him in wonder and silent the rest of the way down, then for the walk through the lobby, the walk to the parking garage and the walk to the elevators in the parking garage]

6 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger The Law said...

wow thats terrible. Im the only jew at my firm (quite obvious since i wear a yarmlka) and the partner i work for loves it. how always asks how the "meeetings with the elders" go and on friday tells me to leave early since im "shomer f'in shabbos!"

dude you gotta tell them you'll gladly work on christmas if they will give you off on you the jewish holidays which you do celebrate (its 14 days a year) see if they'll take that deal...

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Christa said...

holy crap! that's amazing. you should have said: i'm leaving early as part of my paternal leave.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger The Law said...

if you want to be subtle you can always print out the complaint from this link and leave it somewhere in plain sight...

http://www.abovethelaw.com/2007/12/lawsuit_of_the_day_the_jewish.php

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Wow - what a douche! Glad you're out of there. I didn't get Christmas or Hannukah cards sent out this year, but look for a Valentine's card! :-)

 
At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fellow UM Law grad and MOT...is there a way to get my email address to you and would you name the firm? I'd keep it confidential, I'm job shopping and want to avoid a place like that.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger some guy said...

someguyinlawschool@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home