Tuesday, August 21, 2007

it starts soon

I start my job two weeks from today. So far I've had a great time not working. I'm sure the fact that I actually have a job is a factor but I'll be honest - I love not having a job. I don't so much love not having a paycheck but I've always liked being out and about in the middle of the day. Before law school my career often had me working odd hours so I could be doing stuff during the day when most people were in the office. It seemed a little bit unconventional, like I was doing something that others couldn't.

For the past couple of days I've been doing errands and stuff around my new place. Today I discovered a few cool things in my neighborhood. Today in my new neighborhood I found a store/restaurant that sells only South African food (owned by a South African woman, not surprisingly). Strange. I bought some meat pies. I've always wanted to go to South Africa, but it's so damn far away. I thought Japan was far - the 12 and a half hour flight from Tokyo to D.C. was brutal but South Africa is even farther. More importantly thought, now I have all this time off, which is why we went to Japan. Soon, I won't have all that time off so going somewhere that takes 24-36 hours just to get there doesn't make much sense.

So the point is that I like doing nothing. I got some forms from my law firm in a fedex package today and just tossed them aside. I'll fill them out before I start, but the last thing I want to do during my final two weeks of freedom is think about working.

Actually, several of my friends have made a similar comment to me about how this is the end of my "freedom" and the grind is starting and it's all downhill from here and blah blah blah now I'm going to be a working stiff and that sucks.

I don't really look at it that way. I see my first day of work as the start of a new chapter in my life. On the one hand, I've been working toward this for a long, long time (three years of law schoool, not to mention the year before law school, at which point I knew I'd be doing to law school, when I worked at a job with one cool person and a bunch of people straight out of the movie Office Space). On the other hand, everything now is new. A new city, new house, new career (assuming I passed the fucking bar exam, but I have to assume I did for now), new stage of life (Superbee was correct-my daughter is on the way-she's arriving on Thanksgiving).

So, yeah, I don't know. I don't look at this job as a prison. I don't see this as something that will last an eternity. I have no idea if I'll be there for a year, three years or 30 years. Although I hope to soon be able to call myself a lawyer, I don't even know if I'll spend the rest of my adult life as a lawyer. How can I know without trying it out for a while? I can't. So it's the beginning of an adventure.

5 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger Christa said...

lately i've been practicing living like i don't have a job. it is great.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Congrats on the pending arrival to the family!!

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! If, at some point, you don't know what to blog, one interesting topic might be: how you landed your job, despite the ineptness of CPC.....current 3L's have enquiring minds :). Again, congrats!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger The Law said...

i second the anon,

its not just 3L's but some grads are still having trouble and cant enjoy the "freedom"...

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Liney said...

Congrats on the new arrival!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home